Cover your tracks
Whilst on the site:
If you're worried about someone coming into the room and seeing what site you're on, you can click QUICK EXIT at any time and it will take you straight to the BBC News homepage.
It is also effective to close your website browser. It might be a good idea to familiarise yourself with the keyboard shortcut you can use to do this quickly:
Windows: Alt + F4
Mac: Cmd + W
Why not have another browser window open behind this one, that way if you have to exit the browser quickly, you won't be left staring at a blank screen.
After visiting the site:
To be really secure, you should clear your history after exiting the site. Click on one of the browsers below for more info.
Please note: it may still be possible for people to access your browsing history, particularly if you are using a shared internet connection. If safety is a priority for you; you could consider using a public computer, for instance at a library, internet cafe, college or even a friend's house.
1) Open Edge browser
2) Press CTRL + H to open your History
3) Select Clear all history or choose the appropriate boxes of data you want to clear.
4) Select Clear
1) Open IE browser
2) Ctrl + Shift + Del to open the Delete Browsing History window
3) Check the boxes of data you'd like to delete
4) Click clear
1) Open Firefox browser
2) Press Ctrl + Shift + Del to open the Clear Recent History window.
3) Select an option for Time range to clear
4) Click the arrow for Details and select the option to have cleared.
5) Click the Clear Now button
1) Open Chrome browser
2) Press Ctrl + Shift + Del to open the Clear Browsing Data window
3) Click the Clear browsing data button
Chrome on Android phone/tablet
1) Open the Chrome browser
2) Tap the Menu icon (three vertical dots) in the top right corner of the screen next to the address bar.
3) In the dropdown menu, tap History
4) Tap Clear Browsing History... at the bottom of the screen
5) Select appropriate boxes
6) Tap the clear button
1) Open Safari browser
2) In the menu bar at the top, select the Safari menu
3) Select Clear History and Website Data in the Safari menu
In the Clear drop-down list, select an option for how far back you want to delete history for: the last hour, today, today and yesterday, or all history4)
5) Click the Clear History button to clear browser history, as well as browser cookies and data.
Safari on iPad/iPhone
1) Open the Safari browser
2) Scroll up until you see the address bar at the top of the screen and toolbar at the bottom
3) On the toolbar at the bottom, click the fourth icon from the left that looks like a book
4) Click History
5) Click Clear in the lower right hand side of the screen